Thursday, February 19, 2009

 
Organized and Legalized Corruption

By

Molly the Robin



My name is Molly and I am an American robin. I learned to think by seeing myself in car door mirrors. I am a mother who has had several broods of hatchlings. A fellow wrote about my story in Animal Park. He only got half the story right as most people do. I use public school libraries which are often closed. I usually find windows or openings into schools. I only have to perch on a tree or bush or deck to watch television news, which is hardly worth the trouble most of the time.

I was up later than usual and watched a t.v. news show from a lilac bush located on the side of a four season porch with a bank of windows. It was after 9:00 p.m. way passed my sleeping time. I was just ready to fly to go to sleep when the guest of an MSNBC show Zbigniew Brzezinski, a former national security advisor in the Carter Administration said,

" We're close to being bankrupt. You know Washington and I know Washington. What we have in the city is well organized legalized corruption." He was talking about the Legislative and Executive Branches of government in Washington, D.C.

If the network had known he was going to say this it is unlikely he would have been on the show. It is interesting that the host of the show never pursued this monumental statement and never asked if he would return to the show to discuss it further and in more detail!

The idea that the government of the United States has developed into organized and legalized corruption and is not an important topic to be focused on in mainstream television news means the producers of news tacitly are working with the government. There is nothing like mutual interests and benefits of huge current and future profits of parties concerned to concentrate the mind. Democracy to be vibrant and strong confronts its weaknesses and shortcomings in order to progress. A weak democracy seldom confronts its defects, failings, inadequacies and flaws, for it revels in its power assigning ever more resources to government at the expense of the citizenry.

Now, it is unlikely that we will ever see a televised discussion on the topic of organized and legalized corruption in the government. Also it is unlikely that there will be a televised show on how to reverse this corrosive development.

Tonight I will sleep at my usual time in order to be more rested for my early morning flights.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?