Monday, March 09, 2009
Molly the Robin
My name is Molly and I am an American robin. I learned to think by seeing myself in car door mirrors. I am a mother who has had several broods of hatchlings. A fellow wrote about my story in Animal Park. He only got half the story right as most people do. I use public school libraries which are often closed. I usually find windows or openings into schools. I only have to perch on a tree or bush or deck to watch television news, which is hardly worth the trouble most of the time.
In an eggshell or in a nutshell, as you might say, are nine issues in the forefront of your country, although there has been a consistent and continual omission of them, primarily by your television networks where the majority of your citizenry receive their snippets of reality information.
1. The Iraq war has become a trillion dollar invasion and occupation that is not enhancing the security of your country. It has done the opposite, for independent analysis has shown that terror networks have been spawned by your reckless military adventure causing hundreds of thousands of innocents to be killed, marshaling overwhelming motivation against your country. The millions of Iraqis living in refugee camps in Syria and Jordan are seldom, if ever shown on television or their stories told.
2. U.S. Government ownership of Amtrak with its multi-billion dollar annual subsidy has prevented the development and construction of a national high speed train network which could have been a massive financial boom and boon for your country by providing more alternatives to travel. But your democrats and republicans were not interested in it, they were interested in other less important but equally costly things.
3. The massive shift of manufacturing abroad was permitted by favorable tax laws for private industry so they could maximize their profits at the expense of job and employment security, which is ultimately the most important national security issue. Are you sure you know who these Republicans and Democrats are really working for?
4. Government funding for urban renewal and pet projects for a particular district without any overall national strategy to benefit the entire country has been shown to be a folly of trillions of dollars in mismanagement of public funds by neglecting roads, bridges and a national high speed train system.
5. Your national government's spending policies have caused the economic decline of the United States by being unable to allocate resources effectively or efficiently. It mis-allocates resources endlessly to the detriment of the nation.
6. Health care costs are rising uncontrollably because government has created an uncontrollable system. A universal system to prevent illnesses would save enormous sums, but your two political parties, republicans and democrats, do not have sufficient incentive to create an effective and efficient health care system. Providing a universal health care system is too difficult for your elected officials. It is much easier for your elected officials to spend trillions of dollars on wars, war equipment and technology and bailouts for the financial industry than provide health care for its citizenry. Your national politicians may not have much in common with the citizenry. Many of them, including their leadership, lead lives not of quiet desperation, but of quiet luxury.
7. Your television networks and cable news programming scrupulously avoid placing accountability on both political parties, namely democrats and republicans, for the current economic decline and collapse of the country. Your television networks and those approved to be on television have stated that the fault is yours, you the American people, for spending too much on credit, causing the economic difficulties. Your television networks seldom, if ever, state that the regulatory system that democrats and republicans set up was negligent and grossly ineffective. They are guilty of malfeasance.
8. The number of articles and television programs that show the American people how to save money is endless-from meals to gasoline to "stop overpaying for things". Now, the number of programs and articles on how your government can reduce spending and become more efficient and effective is zero, nada, zilch. Your American television media's role appears to be that of cheerleader with its abundant favorable reporting and commentary on whatever your government does or for that matter what it does not do. It can be reliably stated that your media, especially television network news is an arm of government in many cases and rarely criticizes it partner by showing film footage that contradicts or undercuts the government. One of your presidents, Lyndon Johnson was no fool, for in drafting legislation for television he was able to have the opportunity to buy a television station of his very own.
9. Your government is unable to downsize or realize it is too big and incapable of managing itself. If your Founding Fathers had known how reckless in spending and foreign policy the last two or three generations have been they would have included within the Constitution a prohibition of spending more money than the government annually receives and additional expenditures approved by the citizenry. Your television networks refuse to report on the failures of your government and focus on it. They will focus interminably on the frivolous and unimportant. Your democracy is looking frail and a little weak. Yes, you have a democracy, but one with minuscule accountability and a re-election rate for members of Congress that rivals the old Soviet Union.
If my flock ran its affairs as you do in your country we would be clearly labeled failures and incompetents, but in your system of democrats and republicans, failure means more money, promotions or re-election. It is a foolproof system to avoid responsibility and accountability with the great assistance of your television networks which enjoy their profits and existence provided legislation from republicans and democrats.
I'm glad we don't have these democrats and republicans running our government.